Sunday, August 31, 2008

Spicy Roasted Pecans

This bowl was made by Carol Lebreton , she used the pelvic bone of a chicken to imprint the clay

I came across a version of this recipe a few years ago in Bon Appetit. I ended up adding and deleting some ingredients so I feel comfortable calling this my own. This is a very simple ways to add some sophistication to a cocktail party. These pecans are way sexier than potato chips and even more addictive. A friend of mine once asked if there wasn't some "crack" in these as she couldn't stop eating them.

Spicy Roasted Pecans
Ingredients:
1½ teaspoons onion powder
1½ teaspoons garlic powder
1¼ teaspoons coarse kosher salt
¼ teaspoon cayenne pepper
2 tablespoons (¼ stick) unsalted butter
2 tablespoons honey
3 cups pecan halves

Heat a non-stick saute pan and add the butter and honey. When the mixture starts to foam add the pecans and toss them to get the honey/butter mixture to coat all the pecans. Dust the pecans with 1/3 of the spice mixture , toss to incorporate and repeat until all the spice mix is gone. Place the pecan mixture in a 250 degree oven for 40 minutes. When the pecans have cooled break them apart and serve. These will hold for a week or so, but trust me, you won't have them in your house that long.

5 comments:

Alicia Foodycat said...

They sound like my kind of crack! I love spicy roast nuts like that. So much that I try never, ever to have them!

Unknown said...

Norm!!!! How are you? Your blog is now on my Google home page so I can follow you around. :D

I'm so glad you posted this and other favorite recipes on your blog. I thought you would carry the secrets of these treats to your grave.

For everyone else, take this man @ his word. His food is divine.

Miss seeing you around. Hugs to you and Connor. Andrea say hi too.

Wendy

Norm Schoen said...

Hi Wendy,
Thanks for the note-try these pecans at your own peril....you cannot stop eating them!

wendy said...

The gift that keeps on giving. A must make every year and a warm reminder of your hospitality. I hope all is well. Merry Christmas to you, Connor and everyone you care about.

wendy said...


And back to this site again to locate this recipe. Num, num, num. Merry Christmas Norm.