Sunday, August 31, 2008

Spicy Roasted Pecans

This bowl was made by Carol Lebreton , she used the pelvic bone of a chicken to imprint the clay

I came across a version of this recipe a few years ago in Bon Appetit. I ended up adding and deleting some ingredients so I feel comfortable calling this my own. This is a very simple ways to add some sophistication to a cocktail party. These pecans are way sexier than potato chips and even more addictive. A friend of mine once asked if there wasn't some "crack" in these as she couldn't stop eating them.

Spicy Roasted Pecans
Ingredients:
1½ teaspoons onion powder
1½ teaspoons garlic powder
1¼ teaspoons coarse kosher salt
¼ teaspoon cayenne pepper
2 tablespoons (¼ stick) unsalted butter
2 tablespoons honey
3 cups pecan halves

Heat a non-stick saute pan and add the butter and honey. When the mixture starts to foam add the pecans and toss them to get the honey/butter mixture to coat all the pecans. Dust the pecans with 1/3 of the spice mixture , toss to incorporate and repeat until all the spice mix is gone. Place the pecan mixture in a 250 degree oven for 40 minutes. When the pecans have cooled break them apart and serve. These will hold for a week or so, but trust me, you won't have them in your house that long.

4 comments:

Foodycat said...

They sound like my kind of crack! I love spicy roast nuts like that. So much that I try never, ever to have them!

MHSPOEC08 said...

Norm!!!! How are you? Your blog is now on my Google home page so I can follow you around. :D

I'm so glad you posted this and other favorite recipes on your blog. I thought you would carry the secrets of these treats to your grave.

For everyone else, take this man @ his word. His food is divine.

Miss seeing you around. Hugs to you and Connor. Andrea say hi too.

Wendy

Norm Schoen said...

Hi Wendy,
Thanks for the note-try these pecans at your own peril....you cannot stop eating them!

Wendy Stuart said...

The gift that keeps on giving. A must make every year and a warm reminder of your hospitality. I hope all is well. Merry Christmas to you, Connor and everyone you care about.