Thursday, September 4, 2008

Grilled Pizza

Grilled Pizza
Summer is winding down and I was trying to think of something I hadn't already grilled this Summer. I threw an idea at my son and he was more than happy to take a shot at grilling some pizza. We stopped at the grocery store on the way home. Our local store of choice is called "New Seasons" and it is a small, local chain in Portland, Oregon that has a big focus on local products. Produce, meat, dairy, beer, etc. They also happen to make a really kick-ass pizza dough. We grabbed a bag and headed home.
I knew I was going to have to pre-cook the dough enough to firm it up for the grill so I rolled out three small pieces of dough instead of the two we usually do. I baked the dough for about 5 minutes and then set aside so we could top our pizza and take on the grill.

The first pizza was a take on a traditional pepperoni pizza, except this one used was a hot calabrese salame. A light brush of Tomato Sauce, Mozzarella, Parmesan and the Salame. Hot Calabrese Salame
The other pizza was bushed with olive oil and I added Caramelized Onions, Bacon and Gorgonzola.
Caramelized Onion, Bacon & Gorgonzola


The third pizza was a mirror of the first.

My expectations were fairly high, but I have to admit that I liked the crust on these actually better than the oven cooked pizzas I have been making. The crust takes on an almost wood fired oven char and the taste was nearly identical to a Brick Oven pizza. Keep the toppings light as the thin crust is probably optimal for about 3 ingredients.
Grilled Pizza Crust-This was great!

0 comments: