Tuesday, September 9, 2008

Bowpicker Fish & Chips

Trust me, less is more
Every once in a while I happen across some fast food that I have to rave about. I am not a big fan of any of the chains (except for McDonald's french fries) but I do enjoy coming across a family run business that has its sh*t together.
This weekend my son and I made a quick run up to Astoria to meet up with my aunt and uncle. They were visiting some friends out at Ft. Stevens and a recommendation was made for a lunch.
Lucky for all of us the place recommended was the "Bowpicker".
The Bowpicker is a little fish stand (across from the Maritime Museum-highly recommended also)
. This to be honest is a place I wouldn't have stopped at had it not been recommended so highly. Theme restaurants and roadside stands can be a dicey proposition and too often are a disappointment. In this case we were in for a treat.
"Keep it simple stupid"
A former fishing boat, turned Fish Shack that serves two things......Deep fried, beer batter Albacore Tuna and French Fries. Damn, these guys have gotten the zen thing down. The mantra of "keep is simple stupid" or "less is more" completely applies here.

When a place has more condiments than menu items (and a 20 minute waiting line) you have to think they are doing something right. I wish more places would figure out what they do well and whittle down what doesn't work on their menu.

Fresh, lightly beer breaded Albacore tuna and just right french fries are a hard combination to beat. If you are in Astoria, you really should treat yourself to lunch at the Bowpicker.

The Bowpicker
17th St. & Duane St.
Astoria, OR 97103

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Damn, I could go for an order of that Fish & Chips right now. It looks awesome. I love when a place sticks to what they know best. First I thought you were talking about Astoria NY. Oregon is far from me! Arrghhhh...

Norm Schoen said...

Zen-Heading to Astoria (Oregon) for Fish & Chips would be a Lewis and Clark type expedition wouldn't it?

Alicia Foodycat said...

I've never had battered tuna - but that looks wonderful! I think fish and chips would be my last meal on earth.

Norm Schoen said...

Foodycat, This Albacore is fantastic when deep fried.

BeadBag said...

Those Fish 'n Chips look wonderful. I'm from the UK - so we reckon our fish 'n chips are the best (!)- but those look pretty darn good!