Sunday, July 27, 2008

I'm not a breast man....... (really)

I am guessing that her favorite piece of the chicken is the breast.
When it comes to chicken almost everyone know exactly what piece is their favorite. Some people like breasts, other prefer the legs. Personally I love the thigh. The meat of the chicken thigh is darker, fatter and when cooked properly it is by far the most succulent part of the bird.
The other night I wanted to grill, but I didn't want the full production of cooking a whole bird so I pulled out my favorite dry rub mix and dusted half a dozen chicken thighs and in less than 30 minutes dinner was served.
Spice rubbed Chicken Thighs w/ Green Bean, Radish & Red Onion Salad
This time of year the produce is fantastic and I have been playing with grilled and chopped salads all Spring and Summer. Tonight I did a quick fresh salad of green beans, radishes and some red onion. A quick vinaigrette and Summer is served!

Spice Rub
Ingredients:
1 Tbsp Coriander
1 Tbsp Yellow Mustard Seed
2 tsp Fennel Seeds
3 tsp Spanish Paprika
2 tsp Black Pepper
2 tsp Kosher Salt
(grind the seeds and add to remaining ingredients).

Green Bean, Radish, Red Onion Salad
Ingredients:
1 lb Green beans
1 bunch Radishes
1/2 Red Onion

2 Tbsp Red Wine Vinegar
2 Tbsp. Lemon Juice
1/4 cup Olive Oil
Salt
Pepper

Trim and blanch the green beans in boiling water for 3 minutes. Shock the bean in ice water after they are done cooking. Thinly slice the radishes and red onion and then You are good to go-
Green Bean, Radish & Red Onion Salad

2 comments:

Alicia Foodycat said...

Thigh! Definitely thigh! I am always mystified by people in restaurants ordering grilled chicken breast dishes. They are always so dry and woolly! The thighs are where it is at.

And I have nominated you for the arte y pico blogging awards http://foodycat.blogspot.com/2008/07/thanks-alex.html

Norm Schoen said...

Foodycat-
Thank you for stopping by and thank you also for the arte y pico nomination : )