Tuesday, July 29, 2008

τζατζίκι


Tzatziki (pronounced: dza-DZEE-kee) is a traditional Greek dip that is made up of yogurt, cucumber and garlic. This dip is fantastic on artisan bread or as a condiment for a Gyro sandwich.
Technically, this is not a Monkey, it is actually a Chimpanzee
When I see the spelling for Tzatziki it always looks like a typo or a word generated by the use of the "Infinite Monkey Theorem".
Anyway, this is a great way to add something a little exotic to a party and it could not be easier to make. If you love garlic, this is the dip for you.

Tzatziki
Ingredients:
2 cups of thick Greek yogurt
4 to 10 cloves of garlic, finely chopped
1/2 cup of diced or grated cucumber
1 tablespoon of olive oil
2 tsp. of fresh lemon juice

1 tsp. dill (fresh or dried)

Use Greek yogurt or you can use plain yogurt and strain out the whey with a yogurt strainer (yes, there is such a thing).Grate the cucumber and place it in a strainer for 2 hours to remove some moisture. At the end of 2 hours pick up the shredded mass with your hands and squeeze as much moisture out of it as you can.
Toss the yogurt and the cucumber with the other ingredients together and give a stir.
This dip is better if you can let the flavors meld for an hour or so in the refrigerator.

4 comments:

Alicia Foodycat said...

I love tzatziki with bbq lamb chops. Hey, that gives me an idea!

Brittany said...

Yum- I LOVE tzatziki! We eat is on lamb sausage with cous cous all the time, but really I would eat a big bowl of it alone happily!

Heather said...

Me too me too! I still have some lamb that needs eating, and kebab is the only way. With tzatziki.

Norm Schoen said...

Foodycat-I love lamb!

Brittany-I am a big fan of Merguez Sausages.

Heather-Tzatziki would be good on an old boot : )