Thursday, July 15, 2010

Grilled Potato Salad with Red Pepper-Smoked Paprika Aioli

Roasted potato dressed with Red Pepper/Smoked Paprika Aioli

Summer is finally here in Portland, Oregon. We had the worst Spring this year since I moved here in 1993 ( 3 clear days.........yeah, it sucked to be us), but the Summer we have been having is almost on the verge of making up for it.
As anyone who has read my blog knows, I am a huge fan of Bobby Flay. The above is my adaptation of his recipe for: Grilled Yukon Gold Potato Salad with Red Pepper-Smoked Paprika Mayonnaise

I have been going to a ton of barbecue's and this has been a crowd pleaser. My recipe bumps up the amount of smoked paprika (maybe even double it) and I like to use a mix of potatoes (red, russets, fingerlings, etc.). I also substitute jarred Piquillo Peppers and lemon juice for the acid instead of the vinegar. If you don't want to break out the grill go ahead and just cut and toss the potatoes with olive oil and roast in a 425 degree oven for 20 minutes. Turn the potatoes once and roast for another 2o minutes then remove from the oven and toss with the Aioli while they are still warm. The word Aioli sound way sexier than Mayonnaise, don't you think?

4 comments:

Alicia Foodycat said...

Oooh fancy new blog-skin! I like it! The salad also looks very nice.

John K. said...

Looks great! I'm a big Bobby Flay fan too. I take it you follow his recipe and add a bit more paprika? How much do you add?

Thanks for posting this -- I am going to make some for the family soon!

Norm Schoen said...

Foodycat-Thanks for noticing!

Hi John-The recipe called for 1 Tbsp and I add at least another 1/2-1 Tbsp. I say start with the original recipe and adjust to your taste.

John K. said...

I made this yesterday to go with a rib roast I cooked on my smoker. The family loved it! I followed the recipe as suggested...but couldn't help adding another 1/2 tsp of some bourbon smoked paprika. Was a nice touch.

I will be making this again...thanks for posting it!