Wednesday, November 12, 2008

Sausage, Beans & Escarole


It has been forever since my last post. It isn’t that I haven’t been eating and drinking (trust me), it is just that I haven’t been writing about it.
Tonight I am dusting off one of my standby recipes that has been in my permanent rotation for the past 20+ years. The dish I simply call “Sausage, Beans & Escarole” is Italian in origin. I used to have a faded clipping from Playboy Magazine (where this recipe came from….I read Playboy for the recipes, yeah thats it). The clipping is no more but the recipe has taken on a life of its own and even my son who despises any vegetable that is not Broccoli will actually ask for seconds.

Sausage, Beans & Escarole
Ingredients:
2/3 lb. Italian Sausage (without casing)
5 Garlic Cloves-fine dice
1 Jalapeno Pepper-minced
1 Head of Escarole-very coarsely chopped
2 Cans Cannelli Beans
1/2 cup White Wine
3 cups Chicken Broth

Directions:
In a Dutch oven sear the Italian sausage under it browns a bit and then add the garlic and jalapeno and cook for 1 minute. Add the wine and heat to a boil then add the roughly chopped Escarole, Beans, and Chicken Broth. Simmer the mixture with the lid of the Dutch Oven just barely cracked.

This is a great dish to make when you go skiing or have just spent a day outside in the cold. It is warm with a touch of spice and some garlic bread and a rustic red wine go well with this-Buon appetito

Italian Sausage, Cannelli Beans & Escarole

3 comments:

Heather said...

I love this soup! I make mine with nero di toscano kale, but Amy at We're Never Full makes it with escarole like her grandma (who called the soup "Scarole").

Jen said...

Thanks for this recipe---I've always wanted to make this soup, but never had a recipe...perfect for the temps we're experiencing now!

Norm Schoen said...

Heather-This soup is almost as comforting as Mac & Cheese.

Jenious-Give this a whirl and let me know what you think : )